It is that sweet time of year when both waterfowl and whitetail deer hunting is open in New York State. This recipe celebrates both species. Taste-tested many times, this recipe has been perfected and is truly delicious. It would win many a chili cook-off! Thank you Keith Tidball for perfecting the recipe and taking the photos!
- 2 lb. ground venison
- 1 lb. smoked goose or duck breast, chopped
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 Chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (16 oz.) jar home canned tomatoes (if unavailable, add a second can of Mexican-style tomatoes)
- 2 Tablespoons cumin powder
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (smoked, if you can find it)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Lime – juiced (save juice in a bowl)
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
TOPPINGS: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, green onion or chopped chives, guacamole
- Brown ground and chopped meats with onions and peppers in a Dutch oven. Add the garlic and sauté an additional 30 seconds.
- Drain excess fat (if any) and add tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Add beans and lime juice, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Adjust seasonings to your taste and serve with toppings.